23 September 2006

When in Rome, do as the Romans do...does that include Oktoberfest???

I apologize for not putting anything on the blog in a while. Italian communications are as good as their transportation system...they both stink!

Since we last spoke, we have been to Rome, Bern Switzerland, and are currently in Münich Germany. Without further adeiu....

Rome:
The Collesium. It is a super cool structure. I got loads of pictures, but I don't have a lot of time to get a lot of them on here. I read about the history and did you know that they had all day events there? They would have entertainers..and if they didn't like them, they would throw them in with the animals? Yeah...sounds like fun!


Sistine Chapel. No I did not sneak my camera into the Sistine Chapel in the Vatican and take pictures of the ceiling. ;) I snuck my camera in and took LOADS of pictures of the ceiling. This one just happened to be the best one that I could find quickly. The center of it is where God creates Adam...the FAMOUS picture. Did you know that Michelango painted the ceiling and it took him 4 years to do it? He wasn't even a painter...he was a sculpture. It's pretty amazing.


Spanish Steps. This is the place to be man. If you want to get some cheap cool sunglasses, D&G belts, fake prada purses...this is where to go. It's a good place to get a good tan too!


Bern Temple. We went to another temple. This one is amazing! Here's a pretty sweet picture of it.


Mühlestein Family. So, I decided that I should go visit my distant relatives that live in Switzerland. Here is a picture of me with Peter Sr., his wife Marrianne, Peter Jr., his wife (I can't remember her name), and their daughter Andrea who translated for us. That isn't the order of the people in the picture, but those are their names. The visit turned out to be a blast! They LOVED the book that I gave them with pictures of Utah. They drove us up to the Alps for a drive around their mountain countryside. It was gorgeous!!!


So, where is the LAST place in the world that you would expect to find two Mormon girls?? That's right, Oktoberfest. We decided last minute to come to Münich just so we could spend some time in Germany. Little did we know that Oktoberfest has been running for about 2 weeks and still has another week to go. Yeah, this is picture of us in our Oktoberfest shirts that we bought as a souveigner that we were here! Sorry that it is sideways..at least you are getting a picture! We also have these cakes around our necks that say 'ich liebe dich' which means I love you. Everyone is walking around with them on. Today, we ventured out to the actual area wehre Oktoberfest takes place. Everyone here dressed up in their traditional German attire. Guys are walking around with lederhosen on and the girls are in their dodils (the dresses that you see in the movies of the beer waitresses). It's pretty cool! I witnessed a guy fall flat on his face in the train station from drunkeness. I figured that was a good start to our Oktoberfest experience. We got there to find that it is a HUGE carnival. TONS of amusement park type rides. Of course there is the beer vendors covering every inch of the place. We went on two of the rides and had a blast. Sorry that this is the only picture that I could get on. You'll see more when I get back into town. As we were leaving the festival...we saw an open field with people passed out on it...one guy was throwing up, everyone else was passed out. Then we were walking back to the train station and a guy in front of us looked like he had control of himself just biffed it and landed on the sidewalk on his side. Ah...the memories of Oktoberfest!!!! There are these shirts for sale that say, 'My friends say that I went to Oktoberfest, but I can't remember it.' It's sad but true for most people!!


So...this is going to be my final post on this blog. We are headed to Paris tonight on an overnight train and fly out of Paris on Tuesday morning. Since I have already shown you Paris, I figure that I have nothing else to show. I want to thank you all for leaving me comments on this blog. I can't believe that time has gone by this fast. It feels like my trip just started, but I also feel like I've been here forever!

I will post a link to all my pictures on this as soon as I get back and get a free second! Thanks for everything!

LOVE YOU ALL!!!!

Holli & Jenny

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home